Pound Coins

What benefits are available to help with my care?

Andrew Dixson-Smith, financial expert for yourcarehome.co.uk and Director of Care Fees Investment answers your questions about benefits

If you are paying for your care (either in your own home - Home Care or in a Care Home) you can apply to the Local Authority for payment of ‘Attendance Allowance’. This is paid at two levels, and is tax-free.

If you are assessed as needing care during the day only, or during the night only, you will be paid the lower rate of £47.10 per week. If you need 24 hour care, you will be paid the higher rate of £70.35 per week.

If your care needs are predominately medical, and you are receiving care in a Nursing Home, you may also qualify for NHS funded ‘continuing care’. Basically, the more medical conditions you have, and the greater their complexity, the more chance you have of qualifying for this payment. There is one level of payment of £106.30 per week, if you qualify.

Andrew Dixson-Smith

Related Advice Articles - Legal & Financial

What Is A Living Will?

A Living Will may be appropriate if you care for someone who has a degenerative disease - perhaps dementia or another neurological disorder like Multiple Sclerosis. ... More


Do I need to update my will?

Thousands of wills could need updating as rising care and nursing fees force the elderly to sell their assets to pay for care, warns the Law Society. More


What is the difference between enduring and lasting powers of attorney?

What is a Power of Attorney? Giving Power of Attorney is legally allowing someone you appoint to make financial decisions on your behalf such as selling your ... More


All you need to know about Funding your Care

Do you or your relative need care and you are unsure about how it will be paid for or what you are entitled to? Andrew Dixson-Smith, ... More


What is a Deputy?

In the summer of 2011 Professional Deputies was approached by a local authority who had received a referral for a gentleman who was suffering from advanced ... More

12 April 2013

View all care advice articles

Filter advice by category

Search news